Manufacturers rely on slitting to cut large rolls of material into specified dimensions based on the needs of the end application. The process helps ensure fast, efficient, and accurate processing of various materials. At Jennerjahn Machine, Inc., we specialize in fully automated, standard, and custom machinery for slitting, rewinding, and packaging applications.
Below, we’ve included some frequently asked questions related to slitting. Read on to learn about the process, related equipment, compatible materials, slitting benefits, and how Jennerjahn Machine equipment can support your operations.
What is slitting?
Slitting is a manufacturing process that takes a large, continuous master roll of material that’s cumbersome to maneuver and then slits – or cuts – the roll down to produce multiple smaller rolls. The material will now be of a particular desired width or length on rolls that are easier to handle, transport, and store.
What does converting mean in manufacturing?
Slitting is one of many possible converting processes. In converting, manufacturers take a raw material and transform it into a product through several steps. Converting can involve printing, laminating, coating, and sheeting in addition to slitting and rewinding.
What are slitter blades?
Slitter blades are a type of sharp, circular cutting tool for the slitting process. They use low cutting angles and a continuous edge rather than teeth to make effective cuts.
What is a slitter operator?
A slitter operator is a skilled factory worker responsible for running and overseeing a slitter machine. The slitter operator’s job typically involves:
- Loading and aligning the master roll on the slitter machine
- Overseeing the slitting process to make sure the machine cuts the product to spec
- Ensuring that the machine runs smoothly and safely
- Carrying out or scheduling periodic machine maintenance
- Generating any necessary process documentation
What is a slitter rewinder machine, and what are slitter rewinder machines used for?
“Slitter rewinder machine” is simply an alternate name for a slitter machine. This industrial piece of equipment cuts master rolls or sheets of material and rewinds it onto smaller cores, as described above. Diverse industries ranging from food to printing to general manufacturing can all use slitter rewinder technology for various applications.
What materials are suitable for Jennerjahn slitter rewinders?
Some of the most common materials compatible with Jennerjahn rewinders include:
- Graphic vinyl
- Linerless receipts
- Roofing underlayment
What are the benefits of slitter rewinder machines?
Slitter rewinder machines offer an array of benefits, including:
- Superior quality in slit edges
- The option to slit material in specific diameters and lengths from the master roll
- The capability to complete multiple cuts simultaneously
- Rewinding onto cores of varying sizes
What are the types of slitting?
Four types of slitting are:
- Razor slitting. This common slitting technique uses a razor blade to achieve cuts in materials like film. As a material unwinds from the parent roll, it passes overtop one or multiple blades. The slitting equipment will rewind the cut material into smaller rolls.
- Score slitting. This method utilizes a knife and an anvil shaft for slitting. Also called crush cut slitting, the equipment forces the knife against a hardened shaft as it runs, crushing the material in between them. You can use score slitting with diverse materials, such as non-wovens.
- Shear slitting. Shear slitting involves circular knives. Akin to the cuts that scissors create, these male and female knives are helpful for slitting materials like films, foils, and paper.
- Ultrasonic slitting. This process cuts material using not blades, but an ultrasonic horn. The high-frequency sound waves transmit through the material, with the resulting vibrations causing a tapered cut with a clean edge. Ultrasonic slitting safeguards against unraveling in your material.
Are there slitter rewinders that can produce coreless rolls?
Yes. Coreless rolls are desirable for their environmental friendliness and budget savings on production and shipping. However, many manufacturers struggle to produce cost-effective coreless slitter rewinders that won’t generate rolls that are too soft and require reshaping. At Jennerjahn Machine, however, we offer innovative, economical slitter rewinders that produce coreless point-of-sale (POS) thermal rolls. Our patented equipment can efficiently produce coreless rolls that are rigid to withstand palletized shipment transit.
Why is it better to buy a new slitter rewinder machine?
Purchasing a new slitter rewinder machine is important to achieve:
- High performance. Newer machines have superior performance compared to older equipment because old machines will ultimately decline, regardless of how well you maintain them.
- Enhanced efficiency. Technological and productivity advancements like automation have allowed for increased machine throughput, reduced errors, setup time savings, and decreased energy consumption and costs.
- Safety in your operations. Offering peace of mind, a new machine will possess up-to-date safety features.
Slitting Services From Jennerjahn Machine
Choosing Jennerjahn Machine for your slitting machinery will ensure that you have the necessary, reliable, and lasting equipment to process your materials efficiently and accurately. Family-owned since its founding in 1979, our global company offers a one-year warranty on each fabricated part, with purchased parts carrying their individual OEM warranties. We offer cored and coreless slitter rewinders, center slitter rewinders, and more to best serve you with versatile options.